Thursday, February 14, 2008

Would you lak a piece of choclit?

It's Valentine's Day today! I'm still trying to figure out what the heck that means!! Who is or was Mr (or Mrs. Valentine)? Why do we have to have a day to honor him or her? What exactly does the day represent anyway? And: Why is chocolate candy the preferred gift of choice? I suspect this is a vast (right wing? since everything is blamed on them why not this as well?)conspiracy between Hallmark and the stores, to create yet another reason to go "hog wild" on vacuous spending for no good reason. I love my wife, don't get me wrong, but for me, everyday is "Valentines" day because of the joy she brings to my life. I just can't relate to the idea of giving her a gift only because Mr (or Mrs Valentine) suggest it's the right day to do so.


So let it be noted that I am a conscientious objector to splurging on cards and chocolates that will both serve little useful purpose. The cards should hit the trash in time for Friday's pickup, while the chocolates will simply undo all the hard work that you've done working out to maintain your 'youthful' athletic figure (at least when you suck your gut in). Having said all that. I am certainly no fool, so I have purchased (at a reasonable cost) the requisite box of chocolates and a nice Hallmark card (I will be sending them a 1099 at the end of the year). I heard an ad in which a guy was rejoicing that his wife had said she didn't want anything for Valentine's Day. A helpful bystander casually informed him that, in actual fact, what that meant was that she didn't want anything really expensive or elaborate and not nothing at all!

So here's to the proverbial box of chocolates and here's to my beautiful bride, Sola. Happy Valentine's day to all of you in blogland.

0 comments: