Monday, February 11, 2008

One week to live!

What would you do differently if you knew you only had one week to live? How would you spend your time if you knew it was your final week on earth? Would your week be full of tearful goodbye's and sad commiserations about all the things you have yet to do, all the places you have yet to go, and all the people you have yet to see?


In the final week of His life, Jesus had dinner at the home of Mary, Martha and Lazarus. He knew it was His final week on earth in human flesh, yet he didn't hold a big 'crusade', He didn't spend countless hours in the temple praying, heck, He didn't even spend it rushing around catching up on His 'miracle quota' for the week. He chose to spend it with friends. But you know what the best part of that is? It's the fact that they chose to spend it with Him. The final week of Jesus' life was not the best time to be identified, or for that matter seen with Him. In the eyes of the Jewish San Hedrin He was a 'political dissident', a trouble maker, and a proverbial thorn in their very ample sides. His head, and the head of anyone who was remotely connected to Him or considered His follower, were on the veritable chopping block. Yet Mary, Martha and Lazarus were willing to host a dinner in His honor in their home knowing that He was a wanted man. How amazing is that? I guess when you've been raised from the dead by the one you're hosting, or you were witness to the raising of the dead, your perspective does tend to change a little. Some have called it "risky love."

So back to the question: How would you spend your time if you knew it was the final week of your life on earth?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would do exactly what I always do but I wouldn't bother with the housework :)

Moose Man said...

I am going to the beach.

Alison G. Altmayer said...

I would stay with my kids the most I could, and say to some people that I love them. However, I dont believe in ends...