Thursday, January 31, 2008

Drinking and Driving

What is value to me? I've been asking myself that question a lot lately. Ministry often requires precision fine tuning. What the heck does that mean you ask? Well, it's really easy to look around at all the 'successful' ministries and determine that they are successful because of a certain thing they do. Logic dictates that, if you do the same thing, it should breed success for you to, right? Wrong. While what they are doing may be the reason for their success, it isn't a bottled formula (like the elixirs the traveling show men sold many years ago that purportedly healed everything) and so may likely not work for you.


At it's core, the reason it works for that church or ministry is because it is value to them. Simple, but true. Whatever is value to you will be evident by what you pour your heart into. I've often said that The Well's primary focus is on the lost, the hurting and the next generation. Lately I've been getting a ton of phone calls from hurting people and from young people, many of whom have never met me, but were referred to me by someone else that suggested I might be able to help them. I love it! I'm developing a 'reputation' for being someone who can help the hurting and the next generation. How cool is that?

So I've been thinking about what is value to me, and what I'm willing to pour my life out for with no expectation of reward. I know what it is. Whether or not it makes me successful is irrelevant, but I am committed to touching the lives of the lost, the hurting and the next generation not only as the lead pastor at The Well, but in every waking, functioning moment I have, wherever I may be. This is my legacy being carved out in the lives of the people I am privileged to serve no matter where I am or what I'm doing. I want to be able to confidently say, like Paul said in his letter to the Philippian Church, "I am being poured out as a drink offering for you..." So my friends the big question of the day is: What's value to you? Are you driven to be poured out as a drink offering for something or someone?(okay 2 questions) Do tell!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I think of being of value or success I am always reminded of the scripture Joshua 1:8 "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to DO EVERYTHING written in it. THEN you will be PROSPEROUS and SUCCESSFUL. My value comes from doing His will and going about His business. :)