Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It really is that simple!

I'm a little late posting today because I'm actually traveling. I'm writing todays blog entry from Charlotte International Airport. I've been reading a few blogs lately that talk about the upcoming presidential elections. Some of them make bold predictions based on trends, others merely conjecture as to what might be, while others jump ship from a particular candidate and 're-speculate' after each caucus vote. Of all the blogs I've read, I most enjoyed Perry Noble's take on it. In a post titled, I'm not endorsing your political candidate he very succinctly explains that too many Christians get the process wrong when they vote based solely on political parties or propaganda. He contends that too many of us vote someone into office and then pray that they will do the right thing. No! He emphatically states. What we should do is pray THEN vote.

I like that. It is in keeping with my contention that in order for us to be more effective Christians we must learn to simplify. There is nothing that exemplifies simplification more than prayer. A lifestyle of prayer says that I know that I don't have the answers nor do I have to come up with them. Instead, I can simply trust that God has my life in His hands and has a better plan for me than any that I can come up with. Ann Jackson, on her blog, talks about the idea of not doing more for God but instead doing less so that He can do what He wants to do through us. It seems to me that the general idea is to simplify. When our lives are so cluttered that we can't remember whom we told what (much like the politicians soliciting our vote), it's time to slow down. It's time to simplify. It's time to pray. It really is that simple!

0 comments: