Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ambushing the enemy!

A while back I read a book that contained some fascinating information about the names of groups of animals. Before you tune out, thinking I'm forcing you to relive the trauma of your school years, just bear with me a moment. To give you insight into the kind of guy I am, my favorite TV shows are found on the Discovery Channel, National Geographic and the History Channel. Hey, don't knock it. Just remember that people like you, call people like me when you're on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and you have to phone a friend! Now that I've convinced you that my cause isn't entirely irredeemable, let me tell you what I found out.


It's common knowledge (unless school was even more traumatic than I thought) that a group of lions is called a pride. A group of birds is called a flock. A group of cattle is called a herd and a group of fish is called a school (there's that dreaded word again). But did you know that a group of buzzards is called a committee? Were you aware that a group of tigers is called an ambush, or that a group of rhinos is called a crash? That is pretty amazing stuff (Nat Geo kicking into high gear). What does all this have to do with anything, other than the fact that you've just acquired some 'useless' tit bits of information that would only serve you well on a trivia game show?

Well, I was thinking about this in relationship to the way some Christians tend to be so quick to highlight others people's mistakes, and gossip about them under the guise of "Praying for them." It never ceases to amaze me how judgmental we tend to be, while claiming to be "hearing from the Lord." It's no wonder that observers of Christianity are often repulsed by our 'hypocrisy' especially since we claim to love all people with the "love of Christ" and yet appear to specialize in just the opposite. So I came up with this quote:

Don't be a committee of buzzards waiting to feed off the carnage of other peoples mistakes, pointing out all the things everyone else is doing wrong while exonerating yourself. Choose instead, to be an ambush of tigers or a crash of rhinos wreaking havoc against Satan's kingdom."

What an amazing word picture that evokes!

2 comments:

Hope R. Clark said...

I love that quote. :)

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! Well put.