Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The silence is deafening!!!

The silence is deafening! The ‘angry mob’ that has sought to oust the ‘Kenyan born usurper’ would appear to have failed in their bid to disprove his citizenship. The courts are throwing out law suits like Santa throws around Christmas gifts. What has come of all the hoopla? At best, another failed, weak, and poorly reasoned attempt to impose personal preference disguised as the will of God. And at worst? Who knows? But it may be argued that Christians have again become the laughing stock of our country and our political process. ‘Our man’ (or woman) didn’t win and so we embarked on an eponymous campaign to discredit the one who did. Jerome Corsi, who wrote a book which attacks Obama, did an interview with Fox News’ Steve Doocy on August 15, 2008 in which he claimed, with great alacrity, that Obama’s birth certificate was a fake.

The following is a part of the transcript of the interview.

Doocy: What do you mean they have a “false birth certificate” on their website?

Corsi: The original birth certificate of Obama has never been released, and the campaign refuses to release it.

Doocy: Well, couldn’t it just be a State of Hawaii- produced duplicate?

Corsi: No, it’s a – there’s been good analysis of it on the Internet, and it’s been shown to have watermarks from Photoshop. It’s a fake document that’s on the website right now, and the original birth certificate the campaign refuses to produce.
(To get the full transcript on the Obama birth certificate fiasco go here)

Why does this conversation remind me of the book 88 reasons why the rapture will be in 88 I’ve said all along that the merit of our testimony is significantly weakened when we rush like ‘bulls into china shops’ destroying everything in our path simply to establish our preference, even at the risk of being wrong. My concern has always been with the way we as the Church seem to present speculation as if it were fact, and then attempt to strengthen it with a "thus sayeth the Lord" to ensure that our weak suppositions remain unchallenged. So now, after all is said and done, and there appears to be no valid case for making Sarah Palin the 44th VP of these United States, we begin the ‘sheepish’ attempts at back-pedaling, while making every excuse in the book to justify our ‘foolishness’ rather than publicly acknowledging that we were wrong. The sudden silence from the American Church is deafening!

7 comments:

said...

Wow. Marvelous. Very well written, if not a bit opinionated (but I'm not one to talk). It lacks a few things, but most of us don't need to be convinced, so that's okay. And, well, I couldn't agree with you more.

Good work.

Joseph said...

Mr/Ms 'rectangle' welcome to the conversation. Thanks for your comments. I should point out however that, last I checked this is my blog which means it is 'opinionated.' Like you, I can only write according to the 'light' I have received, so everything I write is my opinion or interpretation of a fact or event. I'd be very interested to hear your take on what it lacks though.

Anonymous said...

At least folks aren't saying that God told them to fight this fight. In light of the revelation that Pres. Bush does not leave the Bible to be literal it is another day of egg on the face of the political church.

Don't they realize this does not help win souls?

Anonymous said...

I'll say at the start here that I did not vote for Obama (due to several major issues 1) the life issue 2) association issues. Too name a couple of them. I suppose a 2 intelligent people can argue those) but I did think the birth certificate issue was ridiculous and does leave a little egg on the face of good christian men and women.

I do have concerns with an Obama presidency, all the more to pray. I would have had concerns with a McCain presidency, still would have been all the more to pray.

As a Christian, the president is not our Saviour, and I suppose one could argue the good king bad king old testament bit, but never the less in the new testament we are told to pray for the king and in our case the president.

Having said that I do believe America's biblical heritage is eroding away day by day. (Evil is not passive.) Some with the help of the government and some with the waywardness of the American public. We need missionaries in America! I'm ranting so I'll end it here.

Good post.

Joseph said...

Carl, well said.

Bret, I wish you would 'rant' more. :) I absolutely love your perspective here because it is righteousness that exalts a nation and not skilled political rhetoric argued against people who don't share our world view. America may have Christians residing within her boundaries but she is not a Christian nation, no matter how it pains us to admit that fact.

Anonymous said...

I guess I just don't understand why this is so important at the moment. He has been elected. He is going to take office. At the moment he is acting more as a president than the president.

Has anybody taken a poll of Obama supporters asking them if he had been born in Kenya would this have changed their vote?

Don't we have enough REAL issuses in this country to deal with right now? Is this really where we need to be exspending our energies? Or maybe we need to spend our time trying to boost our economy, save what jobs are left, correct the housing market, getting our troops home with a somewhat stable policy in the middle east, and taking care of the poor that are now including the lower middle class of 5 years ago.

I am a Republican. I am a "Soccer Mom". Before all of that I am a Christian and an American. Maybe if we drop the political labels and actually have compassion for people we can get something accomplished.

Of course I could just be missing the point. Who Knows.

Joseph...I have a question for you...Any chance you might email me?

Thea said...

At the risk of sounding uninterested (I'm not) can I just say "seriously?" Comeon people...none of us is God...none of us can see the future...all of us need His grace regardless. For all we know having McCain in the White House could have been impending doom that we are unaware of. (GASP!) :) - In reality, none of us is privy to the "behind the scenes" reality of the persons running for Presidency. The best we can do is participate in the democratic process available to us and pray for wisdom for whomever sits in the oval office and those who advise him. The Bible says God gives wisdom to all who ask without finding fault. More than that...have you noticed where the church is growing most? It's certainly not in our back yard. That begs to be pondered. Perhaps we need to revisit the purposes of God. We still live in a free country with the opportunity to defend those things for which we stand...we can still defend the rights of those who cannot defend themselves and use our time, money and influence to be the open arms of God to those around us. Thanks for reading my opinion...don't you love blogs?? :)