Monday, December 15, 2008

Dancing with the non-stars!



I was on a friends blog and I found this youtube video. I'm not ashamed to say that it brought tears to my eyes! You see, I live in a world where 'performance' is a pre-requisite for 'success', and as a pastor, everybody measures your success largely based on parameters that you have little or no control over. I've said on numerous occasions that pastoring a church can sometimes feel like an exercise in futility. An often thankless exposing of your heart to hurt and pain. In fact, just recently Craig Groeschel's blog, Swerve, had a post titled The Private Cost of Visible Success, and it was a poignant reminder that, while in the visible expansion of your ministry many will desire to have what you have, few are willing to do what you did to get there. He reminded us that only you and those closest to you will know the sacrifices, pain, loneliness, fear and weight you've had to deal with and carry along the course of your journey.

This youtube video reminds me of the simplicity of the power of love, laughter and a genuine caring for people. I know nothing about Matt! I don't know who he is. I have no idea where or if he works. I don't know where he lives, nor do I know what he believes. I do know this though: I know that in the simple, almost foolish gesture of a 'dance around the globe' he has piqued the interest of many. Who knows what was going on in the lives of many of the people that joined him in a dance? Whatever the case, for a few fleeting moments their pain and adverse circumstances were forgotten and they celebrated life and laughter. I applaud this unique expression of simplicity because, at the end of the day, that's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish as a Christian, except that I hope that what I add to people's lives will be of more lasting and eternal value than a fleeting dance of joy.

So for the next few moments, I dare you to forget the 'multi-million' dollar deal, the big presentation, the busyness that always beckons, and enjoy a dance with Matt. It doesn't really matter where you are because wherever it is, he's probably already been there and danced! a friend of mine once penned the words, "You dance over me, while I am unaware..." Since Matt might not be available, may be you'd care to join Him in a dance today. Have an incredible and inspiring day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, very cool.

Hope R. Clark said...

Wow. I cried. That is fantastic.