Monday, April 28, 2008

Adam and Eve

In my opinion, one of the most creative and spiritually astute Christian fiction writers to come along in over a decade is Ted Dekker. I must admit that he is one of the people I would most love to meet. His subject matter is the stuff psychological thrillers are made of, and if you doubt the veracity of my assessment, look no further than Hollywood who turned one of his most acclaimed novels (Thr3e) into a silver screen hit (okay, maybe it wasn't such a hit). Famed for writing amazing books like, Thr3e, Blink, Blessed Child, The Red, White and Black series among many more bestsellers, Dekker has outdone himself with his latest novel, Adam.


I guess healthy competition is good, because, since (again in my opinion), Robert Liparulo's and Tim Downs' bursting on the scene of Christian fiction, Dekker has stepped up his game. I am not easily intimidated by the world of spiritual warfare. In fact, I have written a fair amount of non-fiction material on the subject such as a book titled I'm a Christian so how can I have demons? as well as a manuscript on witchcraft, currently in the pipline. This book scared the "bejeebers" (whatever they are) out of me! I was initially confused as to whether it was a true account or a work of fiction even though the book and it's reviews stated clearly that it was a work of fiction. I kept returning to the intro on the sleeve to see if I'd somehow missed the information that detailed the fact that this was a true account of a real event.

Delving into the mind of the books primary representation of evil, "Eve," Dekker paints us a perfect picture of how the devil clandestinely works to destroy people in the real world. The story is interlaced with a "ficticious" nine-part article culled from Crime Today magazine, complete with photos and detailed accounts of the saga faced by the beleaguered Alex Price and his sister, that further pushes the mind to question whether or not the book is actually a work of fiction. Deliverance and spiritual warfare have been an area of significant interest for me over the last two-plus decades, and so this book was a breath of fresh air for me. This week I will examine some of the truths outlined in the book so that together we can uncover the ploys that the enemy of our souls uses against us in an attempt to hinder our destiny. What's your opinion about demons and spiritual warfare? I really am curious so please don't be a silent reader today.

8 comments:

Gapper said...

Pastor Joseph Having read your blog earlier today, I thought i would pick up a copy of "Adam" while I was out running errands. Having read some of Dekker's other works I figured it would be a good read. While I was standing in the checkout, book in hand, I decided to wait-I'm not sure I'm ready for a book that scared the "bejeebers" out of YOU! I think I'd rather read of the truth's outlined by you, THEN pick up a copy to enjoy.

Joseph said...

Gapper, you should have done it! It is a great read even though it tempts you to want to leave the lights on at night ;)

I certainly hope my exploration of the spiritual truths will do the book justice, and I hope that you will buy a copy and read it at the end of the week.

Me said...

Christian "ficton"? Kind of oxymoronic? ;0)
Book on witchcraft! Wow. One of my students is involved in Wicca. She thinks it's totally harmless. Amazing how the enemy blinds people...

Anonymous said...

Demons & spiritual warfare...something I have always felt was ill addressed in most churches I've attended growing up. It was either shared in a way that bred fear in the hearts of those listening (kind of paradoxical to teach and breed fear in a church, isn't it?) or ignored as though it weren't happening...both approaches are severely lacking. I love hearing the truth in earnest and would love to learn more on the topic in a way that empowers me as a believer. Looking forward to the manuscript!

Alison G. Altmayer said...

Joseph,
I am sincerely not the best person to comment on this matter... but I will anyway.

I dont believe in demon/devil or whatsoever. If God is the creator of everything and the only master, how could He create such a thing? In this world there is only one master, God.

What I do believe is that there are good people and people still learning how to be good.

I told you. I am definitely not the best person to comment on this.

Missed being here.

Joseph said...

Alison, I hope that by the end of this week I might help you to see a different perspective. Truth is not relative but immutable. Demons and the devil are real entities which exist and influence the lives of people on a daily basis. Like being color blind, though your reality may be different, truth, like gravity, remains unchangeable.

Joseph said...

Yeah, Joey, I know. Christian and fiction just don't seem like two words that should be juxtaposed together. Any way, you know what I mean. It's not the Christian part that's fiction but the story so it's a fiction novel. It's back to first grade for you, and... no soup for you!!!

Anonymous said...

Someone once said (I forget who)...'The devil's greatest achievement is convincing people he doesn't exist...'. Ms. Harkins, I truly hope the truth is revealed to you someday soon. Mendedbones.