Tuesday, June 2, 2009

We're so, so sorry!

Let me begin by saying, “I'm sorry! On behalf of all Christians everywhere, I'm deeply sorry.” Now in case you’re wondering on whose authority I presume to speak for all Christians, let me unequivocally state, “The Bible.” You see, the Bible teaches that we will be known by our love for all people. It calls us to be beacons of light in a dark world, reminding us that we are the salt of the earth, and that unsavory salt is useless salt. In case you’re wondering what my diatribe is all about this time, I want to draw your attention to a recent news article regarding the slaying of a pro-abortion doctor in Wichita, Kansas.

The news headline reads as follows;

“WICHITA, Kansas – Dr. George Tiller, who remained one of the nation’s few providers of late-term abortions through decades of protests and attacks, was shot and killed Sunday in a church where he was serving as an usher and his wife was in the choir.” (MSNBC.com)

Now I’m fairly confident that there are some Christians who will rejoice at this news and may even make so bold as to claim that his death is God’s judgment for his choices. May I even more confidently state that, that response is the response of unsavory salt. We are called to be bearers of Good News and not judges, executing sentence on people at will. I don’t know if the news headline was written as an incendiary piece to further undermine Christianity, because I can’t in all good conscience see the need to highlight the fact that he was killed in a church where he serves as an usher and his wife sings in the choir. I do however know that killing him serves no useful purpose. We don’t even know if the person who killed him was a member of the church, but the article certainly leaves you thinking that ‘bigoted’ Christians are up to their ‘hatemongering’ again.

At the end of the day, Christians must ensure that we are loving hurting people and serving the broken-hearted, rather than passing judgment and executing sentence on people who believe and live differently than we do. After all, Christ did die for the sinner so that the sinner might live (you and I are beneficiaries of that grace), so what gives us the right to expect that the sinner still needs to die for himself and his sins? Just my two cents.

3 comments:

Me said...

It's amazing how a person will justify taking the life of another... Very sad.

Teresa said...

Good word. Absolutely. We will be known by our love. Others are drawn to Him when He is lifted up.

Joseph said...

We continue to pray that we'll all get a true revelation of Jesus' love.